Welcome to Mr Duffy’s Year 4/5 page
We are a class that learns hard but in a fun and enjoyable way! Our class aims to achieve the school motto: “May Christ Be Seen In Us” by being good friends, following rules and doing the best we can every day.
What are we learning about?
Maths: Our focus this term is on number. We will be looking at:
- place value
- finds 1000 more or less than a given number
- recognises the place value of each digit in a four-digit number (thousands, hundreds, tens, and ones)
- orders and compares numbers beyond 1000
- rounds any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000
- four operations
- estimates and uses inverse operations to check answers to a calculation
- solves addition and subtraction two-step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why
- multiplies two-digit and three-digit numbers by a one-digit number using formal written layout
- adds and subtracts fractions with the same denominator
- recognises and writes decimal equivalents of any number of tenths or hundredths
- rounds decimals with one decimal place to the nearest whole number
- compares numbers with the same number of decimal places up to two decimal places
Literacy: We will focus on using a variety of sentence types to make our writing more creative and effective to grab the reader’s attention. We will be looking at various text types, such as newspaper reports, diary entries, creative stories, instructions etc. Our Literacy lessons will be linked to our current topic.
What happens when?
PE is on Tuesday afternoon.
Homework is given out on Monday and expected back completed by Friday.
Tuck shop is on a Thursday and Friday, children are encouraged to bring in a healthy snack for morning playtime (under 100 calories!)
Reading records to be brought in on a Monday so that Mrs Bolton can change reading books (please make sure your child is reading on a daily basis and that there is an adult’s comment in your child’s reading record to say that you have heard them read)
We look forward to a very successful year, thank you for your continued support!
Mr Duffy and Mrs Atkinson