Welcome to Miss Brown’s Year 1/2 Page
We are a class that works hard and aims to try our best in everything that we do. Our class aims to achieve the school motto: “May Christ Be Seen In Us” by being good friends, following rules and doing the best we can every day. We aim to live out our trust values in all aspects of school.
What are we learning about?
Maths: Our focus is on place value, addition and subtraction, multiplication and division and other areas of maths. We will practice counting in 2s, 5s, 3s and 10s and will use Super movers and number blocks to help us.
Literacy: We will be focusing on Narrative and character description in Autumn Term. We will listen to stories and create our own stories using our imagination imagining. We will remember to write in sentences using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. We will begin to learn to conjunctions and adjectives to make our writing more interesting. We will begin to use continuous cursive letters in our writing.
RE: We will be learning all about Creation, Baptism and Advent. We will develop our knowledge of prayers and our understand of our class saint, St Bernadette.
What happens when?
PE is on a Tuesday afternoon.
Homework is given out on Monday and expected back completed by Friday.
Spellings are sent home on a Friday and will be tested the following Friday.
Reading books are changed on a Friday.
Our class Dojo Monsters go home on a Friday and come back on a Monday.
How can I help my child?
Reading at home – make reading fun and easy – something you both look forward to!
- Share the reading, take turns or see whether your child wants to read or be read to today
- Visit the library together and help them choose books to share
- Talk about pictures in books
- Sing songs, read poems and make up rhymes together – the funnier the better
- Be a role model. Let your child see you enjoying reading and talk about what you are enjoying
- Point out words on signs, shops and labels
- Play word games like “I Spy” and “Simon Says…”
- Use sound cards practice our RWI sounds.
Writing at home – make writing fun
- Help your child write an alphabet letter, then go letter hunting in your house or in a book to find that letter
- Encourage them to write shopping lists, make birthday cards, write a daily diary.
- Use spelling shed to practice spellings.
Maths at home:
- Encourage your child to count in ones, twos, fives and tens to develop their confidence when counting and learning their times tables.
- Use games and songs to practice doubling and halving numbers, telling the time and number bonds to 10/20 to embed fundamental mathematics.
- Read books that contain numbers to encourage your child to identify the numbers seen in a story.
- Ask questions when going to the supermarket or out shopping about how much items cost and how many items you are putting in the basket/trolley.
- Watching number blocks and super movers to make maths exciting.
We look forward to a very successful year, thank you for your continued support!